Friday, August 12, 2005

The Great Mouse Adventure

So, how many some-what outdoorsy adults does it take to capture one small renegade mouse? Well, I'm not sure yet. Apparently more than four....
The Great Mouse Adventure:
My friend Ann (choir teacher) and I were sitting in my living room chatting and waiting for my housemates to show up and be sociable. Suddenly, a small brown mouse darted across the threshold and began stealthily sneaking along the wall. We both leaped up to investigate. At this point, enter Ethan (housemate) and Joe (art teacher). They took immediate interest in the mouse proceedings and the three of them engaged in a mad cap attempt to capture the little bugger. Ann was wielding a small tupperware container and trying to scoop it up. Ethan appeared with a big plastic bowl and a frying pan that he was trying to trap the mouse between. Joe was going for the "stomp on it" method of pest control (ewwww). And me? Well, I was sitting on a chair with my feet tucked up, shouting words of encouragement and pointing out the mouse's whereabouts when it escaped them. Which is did repeatedly. At one point we thought it might have crawled into the underside of the couch so Joe lifted it up from one end and shook it while the other two stood at the ready. We're not sure if it was in there, but it did reappear shortly thereafter, streaking across the room. It finally managed to escape into my bathroom and out through a crack in the door leading to the courtyard. Throughout the adventure, there was much shrieking and the occasional curse but at the end of the whole affair the four of us admitted defeat and went back to our various tasks. Mouse 1, Humans 0...stay tuned.

1 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

I can certainly sympathize with you...I recall seeing a mouse in my parent's former house, standing on my bed and screaming for my cat to get it. This was not an exciting ordeal, especially being at home alone. Fortunately, the mouse was eventually captured. Less fortunate, however, was my discovery of its remains. Even still, let my support of your mouse-catching endeavors be known! :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home